IUMC is a consortium of four medical schools in Ireland: Trinity College Dublin, University College Cork, University College Dublin, and NUI Galway. These schools offer top-notch medical programmes that are even recognized by the Singapore Medical Council. Overall, Trinity and University College Dublin top the Irish rankings, but Galway and Cork are very close behind.
IUMC is a great option for those desiring a great medical education requiring less work: typically one application for all four schools suffices. Given that Ireland is less popular a destination, the competition here is lower for schools that are still of a very high caliber.
- IUMC Malaysia (for International Students in Singapore): Mid-Jan
- IUMC Singapore (for Singaporean students): Late February/ Early March
- A Levels: A, A, A
- IB Program: 36+, 6 in Chemistry & another Science HL
- Coursework: Chemistry, Biology, Math, Physics
Extracurriculars, school clubs, and leadership positions demonstrating teamwork skills, empathy, and communication will help your applications stand out. It is highly recommended for students to have volunteering experiences, especially ones that are related to medical or care settings.
Students are considered competitive if they completed doctor shadowing in clinics or hospitals prior to applying.
The personal statement is an essential part of the IUMC application for Singaporean applicants. It showcases an applicant’s ability to write as well as their preparedness for medical school. The personal statement should be no longer than 500 words. It outlines:
- Motivation to study medicine
- Academic prowess in medicine-related subjects
- Accounts of shadowing experiences
- Volunteering, teamwork skill, and empathy demonstration
The application deadline is late February or early March.